Monday, September 29, 2008

Celiac Disease

In the Health and Women section of this USA Weekend, there is an article about the fact only 3% of the celiac cases are correctly diagnosed. Also about twice as many women than men have this condition.

The National Institutes of Health has begun a celiac disease awareness campaign. Now we know the issues that are painful: small intestine pain, chronic gas, diarrhea, stomach pain, fatigue and reduced absorption of nutrients. The doctors rarely test for the inherited autoimmune disorder.

If you suspect celiac disease you must ask your doctor for a blood test.

There is only one clear and that is total lifelong avoidance of gluten found in wheat, rye, barley and oats.

Good gluten free food blog keeps searching for information and help to post. This is such an easy fix once you decide to live gluten free. There are times that I get annoyed that my husband has the issue. It is harder to eat out. When visiting friends, I keep rice crackers, a potato and other items in my handbag so that Charlie has food to eat.

At other times, I am so thankful that we are aware of the celiac disease. Life with the pain and symptoms is hard.

Be sure to mention celiac disease to anyone with intestinal problems. My children and friends are aware of how I try to promote awareness of celiac disease and also spread the word.

No comments: